You are here
In this Section
- Advisory Council
- Our Work
- Research Portfolio
- Projects & Initiatives
- Strategic Plan
- History of NIAAA
- 40th Anniversary
- Donations to NIAAA
- Interagency Coordinating Committee on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Organization of ICCFASD
- Five-Year Reports and Strategic Plans
- Proceedings from Special Focus Workshops and Conferences
- Our Funding
- Our Staff
- Jobs & Training
- Our Location
- Contact Us
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) is one of the 27 institutes and centers that comprise the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NIAAA supports and conducts research on the impact of alcohol use on human health and well-being. It is the largest funder of alcohol research in the world.
NIAAA leads the national effort to reduce alcohol-related problems by:
- Conducting and supporting alcohol-related research in a wide range of scientific areas including genetics, neuroscience, epidemiology, prevention, and treatment.
- Coordinating and collaborating with other research institutes and federal programs on alcohol-related issues.
- Collaborating with international, national, state, and local institutions, organizations, agencies, and programs engaged in alcohol-related work.
- Translating and disseminating research findings to health care providers, researchers, policymakers, and the public.
Through both research within NIAAA, and by funding grants at institutions worldwide, NIAAA aims to:
- Better understand the health risks and benefits of consuming alcohol, as well as why it can cause addiction.
- Reveal the biological and socio-cultural origins of why people respond to alcohol differently.
- Remove the stigma associated with alcohol problems.
- Develop effective prevention and treatment strategies that address the physical, behavioral, and social risks that result from both excessive drinking, and underage alcohol consumption.
NIAAA-funded discoveries have important implications for improving the health and well-being of all people.
Learn more about the NIAAA:
- Advisory Council – The group of research experts who advise the Institute on program and policy matters in alcohol research
- Our Work – NIAAA supports research conducted within the Institute, as well as in institutions around the world
- Our Funding – Congressional budget justifications and testimony for NIAAA's annual budget request