Alcohol & Health
Alcohol’s effects on your brain and body depend on the ways you drink–such as how much and how often–as well as your age, gender, and overall health status
- What Is a Standard Drink?You may be drinking more than you realize
- Alcohol’s Effects on the BodyImpact on the brain, heart, liver, and other organs
- Moderate and Binge DrinkingSome drinking patterns could put you at risk
- Fetal Alcohol SyndromeAlcohol can seriously harm a growing baby
- Alcohol Use DisordersUnderstanding alcohol abuse and dependence
- Evaluate Your Own DrinkingRethinking Drinking is NIAAA's interactive site for self-help tools to assess and change risky drinking behavior
Alcohol Policy Information System
NIAAA has compiled a wide variety of U.S. alcohol policies, including taxation, BAC limits, labeling, and more in our Alcohol Policy Information System (APIS).
Support and Treatment
Research shows that pharmaceutical and behavioral therapies can help people recover from alcohol-related problems.