You are here
In this Section
- Major Initiatives
- Medications Development Program
- Underage Drinking Research Initiative
- National Consortium on Alcohol and Neurodevelopment in Adolescence
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Collaborative Studies on Genetics of Alcoholism (COGA) Study
- NIAAA-Funded Research Centers
- NIAAA Institutional Research Training Programs
- Other Key Extramural Research Activites
- Guidelines & Resources
- Intramural Research Program
- NIAAA Laboratories
- Laboratory of Behavioral & Genomic Neuroscience
- Laboratory of Clinical & Translational Studies
- LCTS - Office of the Chief
- LCTS - Section on Brain Electrophysiology and Imaging (BEI)
- LCTS - Section of Clinical Assessment and Treatment Evaluation (CATE)
- LCTS - Section on Clinical Psycho-neuroendocrinology and Neuro-psychopharmacology (CPN)
- LCTS - Section on Human Psychopharmacology (HP)
- LCTS - Section of Molecular Pathophysiology (MP)
- Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biometry
- Laboratory for Integrative Neuroscience
- LIN - Office of the Chief
- LIN - Section on Neuronal Structure
- LIN - Section of Synaptic Pharmacology (SP)
- Laboratory of Liver Diseases
- Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Laboratory of Metabolic Control
- Laboratory of Molecular Physiology
- Laboratory of Molecular Signaling
- Laboratory of Neurogenetics
- Laboratory for Neuroimaging
- Laboratory of Physiologic Studies
- Chemical Biology Research Branch (joint lab with NIDA)
- Office of the Scientific Director
- Office of Laboratory Animal Science (OLAS)
- Research and Training
- Clinical Trials at NIAAA/NIH
- NIAAA Laboratories
Publications from the Section on Neuronal Structure
Search for all publications from the Alvarez Lab on PubMed
A. Dobi, G.K. Seabold, C.H. Christensen, R. Bock, V.A. Alvarez. (2011). Cocaine-Induced Plasticity in the Nucleus Accumbens Is Cell Specific and Develops without Prolonged Withdrawal. J. Neurosci. 31:1895-904.
P.F. Kramer, C.H. Christensen, L.A. Hazelwood, A. Dobi, R. Bock, D.R. Sibley, Y. Mateo, V.A. Alvarez. (2011). Dopamine D2 receptor overexpression alters behavior and phsiology in Drd2-EGPFP mice. J. Neurosci. 31:126-32. Faculty of 1000 "Recommended" list.
M. Feyder, R.M. Karlsson, P. Mathur, M. Lyman, R. Bock, R. Momenan, J. Munasinghe, M.L. Scattoni, J. Ihne, M. Camp, C. Graybeal, D. Strathdee, V.A. Alvarez, P. Kirsch, M. Rietschel, S. Cichon, H. Walter, A. Meyer-Lichtenberg, S.G. Grant and A. Holmes. (2010). Association of mouse Dlg4 (PSD-95) gene deletion and human DLG4 gene variation with phenotypes relevant to autism spectrum disorders and Williams' syndrome. Am. J. Psychiatry 167:1508-17.
G.K. Seabold, J.B. Daunais, A. Rau, K.A. Grant, V.A. Alvarez. (2010). DiOLISTIC labeling of neurons from rodent and non-human primate brain slices. J. Vis. Exp. (41) pii:2081.
J.L. Brigman, T. Wright, G. Talani, S. Prasad-Mulcare, S. Jinde, G.K. Seabold, P. Mathur, M.I. Davis, R. Bock, R.M. Gustin, R.J. Colbran, V.A. Alvarez, K. Nakazawa, E. Delphire, D.M. Lovinger and A. Holmes. (2010). Loss of GluN2B-containing NMDA receptors in CA1 hippocampus and cortex impairs long-term depression, reduces dendritic spine density, and disrupts learning. J. Neurosci. 30:4590-600.
J. Cheng, X. Zhou, E.L. Miller, V.A. Alvarez, B.L. Sabatini, S.T. Wong. (2010). Oriented Markov random field based dendritic spine segmentation for fluorescence microscopy images. Neuroinformatics 8(3):157-70.
V.A. Alvarez , D.A. Ridenour and B.L. Sabatini. (2007). Distinct Structural and Ionotropic Roles of NMDA Receptors in Controlling Spine and Synapse Stability. J. Neurosci. 28:7365-76.
V.A. Alvarez and B.L. Sabatini. (2007) Anatomical and physiological plasticity of dendritic spines. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 30:79-97.
V.A. Alvarez , D.A. Ridenour and B.L. Sabatini. (2006). Retraction of synapses and dendritic spines induced by off-target effects of RNA interference. J. Neurosci. 26: 7820-5. Faculty of 1000 "Must Read" list.
S.F. Tavazoie*, V.A. Alvarez* , D.A. Ridenour, D.J. Kwiatkowski, B.L. Sabatini (2005). Regulation of neuronal morphology and function by the tumor suppressors Tsc1 and Tsc2. Nat Neurosci. 8, 1727-34. Faculty of 1000 "Recommended" list.
V.A. Alvarez , C. Chow, E.J. Van Bockstaele and J.T. Williams. (2002). Frequency-dependent synchronization of locus coeruleus neurons: role of electrotonic coupling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A . 99: 4032-6.
V.A. Alvarez *, S. Arttamangkul*, J. Whistler, M. van Zastrow, D. Grandy and J.T. Williams. (2002). mu-Opioid receptors: Ligand-dependent activation of potassium conductance, desensitization, and internalization. J Neurosci. 22: 5769-76.
V.A. Alvarez , S. Arttamangkul, and J.T. Williams. (2001). A RAVE about Opioid Withdrawal. Neuron 32: 761-763. New and Views.
V.A. Alvarez , Maubecin, F. Garcia-Hernandez, J.T. Williams and E. Van Bockstaele. (2000). Functional coupling between neurons and glia. J. Neurosci. 20: 4091-4098.