You are here
In this Section
- Office of the Scientific Director
- Office of the Clinical Director
- NIAAA Laboratories
- Section on Clinical Psychoneuroendocrinology and Neuropsychopharmacology (CPN)
- Laboratory of Behavioral & Genomic Neuroscience
- Laboratory of Clinical & Translational Studies
- Laboratory for Integrative Neuroscience
- LIN - Office of the Chief
- LIN - Section on Neuronal Structure
- LIN - Section of Synaptic Pharmacology (SP)
- Laboratory of Liver Diseases
- Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics
- Laboratory of Metabolic Control
- Laboratory of Molecular Physiology
- Laboratory of Molecular Signaling
- Laboratory of Neurogenetics
- Laboratory for Neuroimaging
- Laboratory of Physiologic Studies
- Chemical Biology Research Branch (joint lab with NIDA)
- Office of Laboratory Animal Science (OLAS)
- Research and Training
- Clinical Trials at NIAAA/NIH
Section on Clinical Psychoneuroendocrinology and Neuropsychopharmacology (CPN)
What we do
Adjunct CPN Staff
Adjunct Staff not supported by CPN NIH IRP
Current Research Support
- Dr. Leggio is the current recipient of a NARSAD Young Investigator grant from the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation (baclofen project).
- Dr. Leggio is one of the two PIs (Co-PI: Dr. Fatemeh Akhlaghi, URI) of an NCATS-funded grant award (funding limited to the extramural site at URI) designed as an NIH-Academia-Industry collaborative project (ghrelin receptor antagonism project)
- Dr. Lee is the current recipient of an NIH Bench-to-Bedside (B2B) grant award funded by the Office of Behavioral & Social Sciences Research (oxytocin project).
A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Human Laboratory Pilot Study of Baclofen in Anxious Alcoholics
Effects of Ghrelin on Alcohol Administration in Non-Treatment Seeking Heavy Drinkers
A Novel Compound for Alcoholism Treatment: A Translational Strategy
Oxytocin in Alcohol Dependence: A Novel and Translational Approach.
- C.L. Haass-Koffler, E. Aoun, R.M. Swift, S. de la Monte, G.A. Kenna, L. Leggio. Leptin Levels are Reduced by Intravenous Ghrelin Administration and Correlated with Cue-Induced Alcohol Craving. Transl Psychiatry 2015;5:e646
- M.L. Lee, L. Leggio. Management of Alcohol Use Disorder in Patients Requiring Liver Transplant. Am J Psychiatry 2015;172(12):1182-9.
- G.A. Kenna, C.L. Haass-Koffler, W.H. Zywiak, S.M. Edwards, M.B. Brickley, R.M. Swift, L. Leggio. Role of the α(1) blocker doxazosin in alcoholism: a proof-of-concept randomized controlled trial. Addict Biol. 2015 [June 2, Epub ahead of print]
- P. Suchankova, J. Yan, M.L. Schwandt, B.L. Stangl, E.C. Caparelli, R. Momenan, E. Jerlhag, J.A. Engel, C.A. Hodgkinson, M. Egli, M.F. Lopez, H.C. Becker, D. Goldman, M. Heilig, V.A. Ramchandani, L. Leggio. The glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor as a potential treatment target in alcohol use disorder: evidence from human genetic association studies and a mouse model of alcohol dependence. Transl Psychiatry. 2015;5:e583
- L. Leggio, W.H. Zywiak, S.M. Edwards, J.W. Tidey, R.M. Swift, G.A. Kenna. A preliminary double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized study of baclofen effects in alcoholic smokers. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015;232(1):233-43.
- M. Ghareeb, L. Leggio, A. El-Kattan, F. Akhlaghi. Development and validation of an UPLC-MS/MS assay for quantitative analysis of the ghrelin receptor inverse agonist PF-5190457 in human or rat plasma and rat brain. Anal Bioanal Chem 2015 ;407(19):5603-13
- L. Leggio, W.H. Zywiak, S.R. Fricchione, S.M. Edwards, S.M. de la Monte, R.M. Swift, G.A. Kenna. Intravenous Ghrelin Administration Increases Alcohol Craving in Alcohol-Dependent Heavy Drinkers: A Preliminary Investigation. Biol Psychiatry 2014;76(9): 734-41
- G.A. Kenna, W.H. Zywiak, R.M. Swift, J.E. McGeary, J.S. Clifford, J.R. Shoaff, C. Vuittonet, S. Fricchione, M. Brickley, K. Beaucage, C.L. Haass-Koffler, L. Leggio. Ondansetron Reduces Naturalistic Drinking in Nontreatment-Seeking Alcohol-Dependent Individuals with the LL 5'-HTTLPR Genotype: A Laboratory Study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2014;38(6):1567-74.
- L. Leggio, A. Ferrulli, S. Cardone, A. Nesci, A. Miceli, N. Malandrino, E. Capristo, B. Canestrelli, P. Monteleone, G.A. Kenna, R.M. Swift and G. Addolorato. Ghrelin system in alcohol-dependent subjects: role of plasma ghrelin levels in alcohol drinking and craving. Addiction Biology 2012;17(2):452-64.
- G. Addolorato, L. Leggio, A. Ferrulli, S. Cardone, L. Vonghia, A. Mirijello, L. Abenavoli, C. D'Angelo, F. Caputo, A. Zambon, P.S. Haber, G. Gasbarrini. Effectiveness and safety of baclofen for maintenance of alcohol abstinence in alcohol-dependent patients with liver cirrhosis: randomised, double-blind controlled study. Lancet. 2007;370(9603):1915-22.
- Steven Edwards, B.S., *Research Assistant: 2010-2012
- Samuel Fricchione, B.S., *Research Assistant: 2010-2012
- Christine Goodwin, M.Sc., *Research Volunteer: 2012
- Eugenia Gurvich, *Undergraduate Student: 2012
- Allison Feduccia, Ph.D., Post-Doctoral Fellow: 2012-2013
- Jared Bollinger, B.S., Post-Bac IRTA Fellow: 2012-2014
- Emily Oot, B.A., Technical IRTA Fellow: 2012-2014
- Lexi Dias, B.S., Post-Bac IRTA Fellow: 2012-2014
- Petra Suchankova Karlsson, Ph.D., Guest Researcher: 2013
- Myung Ha Jung, BSN, Special Volunteer: 2013-2014
- Christian Frable, B.S., Post-Bac IRTA Fellow: 2013-2015
- Elie Aoun, M.D., **Clinical Resident in Psychiatry (at Brown University): 2013-2016
- Ashley Blackburn, B.S., Post-Bac IRTA Fellow: 2014-2015
- Lindsay Arcurio, Ph.D., Post-Doctoral Fellow: 2014-2015
- Mohammad (Omar) Bukhari, B.S., Student in the Summer Internship Program (SIP) in Biomedical Research, 2015