NIAAA Social Media
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) uses social media outlets to share health information, the latest science discoveries, funding and training opportunities, events, and initiatives with broader, more diverse audiences. NIAAA’s goal is to improve outreach in support of its mission: to generate and disseminate fundamental knowledge about the effects of alcohol on health and well-being, and apply that knowledge to improve diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of alcohol-related problems, including alcohol use disorder, across the lifespan.
We invite you to follow us on:
We encourage and welcome your comments on NIAAA’s social media accounts. When engaging with our social media accounts, we ask that you:
- Stay focused. All viewpoints are welcome, but comments should remain relevant to NIAAA.
- Be respectful. Personal attacks, profanity, and aggressive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Tell the truth. Misleading or false information will not be tolerated.
In accordance with the Federal Government's other social media comment policies, NIAAA has instituted the following policy to maintain respectful interaction. We reserve the right to remove comments that are inconsistent with our policy, at our complete discretion, particularly if they contain:
- Political endorsements of parties, candidates, or groups.
- Content that infringes on copyrights.
- Discriminatory, racist, offensive, obscene, inflammatory, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable statements, language, or content.
- Solicitations of funds, advertisements, or promotion of products/services. This includes repeated posts of identical or very similar content in a counter-productive manner.
- Comments on any ongoing investigation of any sort.
- Procurement-sensitive information related to any current/future NIAAA acquisitions.
All tweets are in the public domain. When tweeting, please do not include information (e.g., social security number, credit card numbers) in the text of your tweet that personally identifies you in a way you did not intend.
We recognize that the web is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to manage federal resources (i.e., your tax dollars), moderating and posting comments should only be expected to occur during regular business hours.
Records of posts and comments will be kept. We reserve the right to block or delete offenders of this policy.
The views expressed in user comments reflect those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official views of the NIAAA, the National Institutes of Health, or the Federal government.
Linking to, following, or engaging with social content does not constitute an endorsement by NIAAA, NIH, HHS, or any of its employees.
If you are a reporter, please send questions to the NIAAA press office by email (NIAAAPressOffice@mail.nih.gov) or phone (301-443-2857), rather than through social media.