Extramural Research Program
Extramural research is research conducted by organizations outside the NIH with NIH support through grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements.
NIAAA’s extramural research program comprises the following divisions:
- Division of Epidemiology and Prevention Research
- Division of Metabolism and Health Effects
- Division of Medications Development
- Division of Neuroscience and Behavior
- Division of Treatment and Recovery Research
The extramural portfolio supports both clinical and basic science research.
Clinical research comprises more than 30 percent of NIAAA’s extramural research, and includes programs in:
- Health Services
The laboratories and researchers housed within NIAAA seek to unravel the biological basis of alcohol use disorders and related problems, and to develop new strategies to prevent and treat these disorders.
Learn more about the NIAAA: