Skip to main content


National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

Donations to NIAAA

Updated: 2024

Can NIAAA accept donations?

Yes. Although the NIAAA is a federally funded organization and not a fund-raising organization, the U.S. Congress has authorized NIAAA to accept donations and bequests to support its research mission. Donations to the NIAAA are deposited in a Gift Fund account which is separate from the funding NIAAA receives from Congress.

How are donations used?

Projects supported through the Gift Fund may vary from year to year depending on the needs of the Institute. The following examples are the types of activities that may be supported through the Gift Fund:

  • Research studies, including clinical research in our laboratories
  • Printing of pamphlets and brochures about alcohol use disorders for the general public
  • Support of research conferences, symposia, and workshops of special importance to alcohol research
  • Purchase of equipment and supplies for laboratories

How can someone donate to NIAAA?

Individuals and organizations can contribute to the NIAAA Gift Fund by sending a check or money order payable to "The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism” with a letter stating that the money is to be used for research at the NIAAA. Donations and letters should be addressed to:

Financial Management Branch – Gift Fund  
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism  
National Institutes of Health  
6700B Rockledge Drive, Room 1336  
Bethesda, Maryland 20892-6902

As a federal agency of the U.S. Government, the NIAAA is recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as tax-exempt under 26 U.S.C. 501(L)(3). Contributions to the NIAAA Gift Fund may be tax-deductible pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 170. Potential donors should consult with their tax advisors.

How can someone make a bequest in a will?

If a contribution is to be made as a memorial, please indicate the name of the deceased as well as a name and address of the individual to whom an acknowledgement can be sent. If you are considering a bequest in a will, the will should show the address of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism to avoid confusion about your intentions. Again, the will should indicate that the bequest is to be used to support the research of the NIAAA.

How can someone donate through an employer matching gift program?

In some cases, employee contributions are matched dollar for dollar--up to a designated maximum amount. If you wish to consider employer matching of your donation, please contact your business or finance office to inquire about whether or not your company offers matching gift opportunities.

What if someone has additional questions?

If you have any further questions about gift fund donations, please contact:

Financial Management Branch
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
National Institutes of Health
6700B Rockledge Drive, Room 1336  
Bethesda, Maryland 20892-6902
Phone: 301-443-0606

Looking for U.S. government information and services?