Skip to main content

Grant Funding

How to apply for grants funded by NIAAA and manage existing grants.

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

Applying for Extramural Grants

This webpage provides information about grant applications, the peer review process, and understanding how applications are selected for funding. When submitting a grant application to NIAAA, extramural researchers can find instructions in the Notice of Funding Opportunity to which they are applying. 


NIH Grants Process

NIH Grants Process Overview
Learn about the steps required for an application to proceed from planning and submission through award and closeout.

Getting Started
Learn the basics about NIH grant types and the grants process.

How to Apply
Learn the steps to prepare for applying, writing the application, and submitting your application.

Application Referral and Peer Review
Learn about the receipt and referral of applications and NIH’s peer review process.

Pre-Award and Post-Award Processes
Learn about what happens between the time that your application is reviewed and the award is made, as well as what's required for post-award monitoring and reporting.

Forms Library
Find the forms, instructions, and format pages for each stage of the grant life cycle.

Need more information?
Find information for researchers, research administrators, reviewers, small businesses, foreign applicants, the media, and the public.

Policy and Compliance
Learn about the NIH policies and federal requirements for NIH grants.


Additional Resources

NIH-wide Information

NIAAA-specific Information


Contacts for Additional Questions

Further information about NIAAA research grant programs and application requirements can be obtained from:

Division of Epidemiology and Prevention Research
Contact:  Dr. Ralph Hingson

Division of Metabolism and Health Effects 
Contact: Dr. Kathy Jung
Phone: 301-443-8744

Division of Neuroscience and Behavior
Contact: Dr. Antonio Noronha
Phone: 301-443-4223

Division of Treatment and Recovery
Contact: Dr. Raye Litten
Phone: 301-443-0636

Office of Extramural Activities
Contact: Dr. Philippe R Marmillot
Phone: 301-443-2861


Updated: May 2024

Looking for U.S. government information and services?