This webpage provides information about grant applications, the peer review process, and understanding how applications are selected for funding. When submitting a grant application to NIAAA, extramural researchers can find instructions in the funding opportunity announcement to which they are applying. Also, see NIH Late Application Policy Due to Public Health Emergency for United States for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) NOT-OD-20-091
NIH Grants Process
NIH Grants Process Overview
Learn about the steps required for an application to proceed from planning and submission through award and closeout.
Learn the basics about NIH grant types and the grants process.
How to Apply
Learn the steps to prepare for applying, writing the application, and submitting your application.
Application Referral and Peer Review
Learn about the receipt and referral of applications and NIH’s peer review process.
Pre-Award and Post-Award Processes
Learn about what happens between the time that your application is reviewed and the award is made, as well as what's required for post-award monitoring and reporting.
Find the forms, instructions, and format pages for each stage of the grant life cycle.
Need more information?
Find information for researchers, research administrators, reviewers, small businesses, foreign applicants, the media, and the public.
Policy and Compliance
Learn about the NIH policies and federal requirements for NIH grants.
- Modular Research Grant Applications
- Inclusion of Women and Minorities as Participants in Research Involving Human Subjects
- Inclusion of Children as Participants in Research Involving Human Subjects
- Resources for Applicants
- NIAAA Statement on Research Priorities and Procedures
- NIAAA Requirements for Electronic Submission of Administrative Supplement Applications
- Applications Requesting $500,000 or More in Direct Costs Per Year
- Supplemental Instructions for Preparing an Alcohol Research Center Grant Application
- Submission of Supplementary Materials for Program Project and Alcohol Research Center Grant Applications
- Information on Post-Submission Materials for P50 & P60 ARC Grant Applications
- NIAAA Financial Management Plan
- NIAAA-specific Peer Review Information
Contacts for Additional Questions
Further information about NIAAA research grant programs and application requirements can be obtained from:
Division of Epidemiology and Prevention Research
Contact: Ralph Hingson
Division of Medications Development
Contact: Dr. Raye Litten
Division of Metabolism and Health Effects
Contact: Dr. Kathy Jung
Division of Neuroscience and Behavior
Contact: Dr. Antonio Noronha
Division of Treatment and Recovery Research
Contact: Dr. Raye Litten
Office of Extramural Activities
Contact: Dr. Abraham Bautista