NIAAA seeks grant applications through a variety of requests for applications (RFAs), program announcements (PAs), and other Notices of Funding Opportunities.
COVID-19 Funding Information
- Per NOT-OD-23-095, “Expiration of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency,” NIH will no longer issue Emergency Notices of Funding Opportunity (NOFOs) related to COVID-19, effective May 12, 2023.
- Reminders about COVID-19 Related Flexibilities for NIH Grants
- NOT-OD-21-052: Reminder Requesting Extensions for Early Career Scientists Whose Career Trajectories Have Been Significantly Impacted by COVID-19
- Administrative supplement requests related to hardships caused by the COVID-19 pandemic should also refer to the NIAAA-specific requirements at https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/grant-funding/application-process/administrative-supplements.
- Additional COVID-19 related information for NIH Applicants and Recipients of NIH Funding is available at https://grants.nih.gov/policy/natural-disasters/corona-virus.htm
- If you have questions, please contact NIAAA extramural program staff (https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/extramural-research), or Dr. Philippe R. Marmillot, Acting Director, NIAAA Office of Extramural Activities (email@example.com).
Types of Funding Opportunities
There are several types of funding opportunities, each designed to meet specific research needs.
NIAAA Notices of Funding Opportunities
- Requests for Applications (RFAs) issued by NIAAA
- Program Announcement (PAs) issued by NIAAA
- Parent Announcements for unsolicited or investigator-initiated applications
- NIAAA Small Business (SBIR/STTR) Funding Opportunities
- All Notices of Funding Opportunities and notices with NIAAA participation
- NIAAA Conference Grants (R13/U13)
- NIAAA policy for Submission of Applications Containing Genome-Wide Association Studies (NOT-AA-17-002)
Clinical Trial Requirements for Grants and Contracts
See whether your trial meets the definition of a clinical trial and the specific requirements necessary if it does.
NIAAA Research Priorities
NIAAA Advisory Council Concept Clearance
Concepts that cleared through the NIAAA Advisory Council alert researchers to NIAAA interests and potential funding opportunities.
A complete list of NIAAA-funded extramural grants is available from the NIH RePORTER database. Going back to 1988, the database includes research summaries and other information about each grant.
Search NIH RePORTER
Visit the Application Process page to get the information about grant applications, the peer review process, and understanding how applications are selected for funding.